Sunday 8 September 2013

Week 8: Blue Mountains and Koalas

So this week began in a similar fashion to many others, film night monday was Sherlock Holmes. What a great film! Love Robert Downey Jr. I forgot to mention last week was Hot Fuzz, equally awesome. And next thing I knew it was thursday, after 13km walking, cycling and carrying a surfboard I managed to get myself a surfboard and a bike. So I can now head down to the beach whenever I feel like it :). This was ontop of a 6km early morning jog. Wednesday evening we had a KB bbq... so many yummy sausages, coleslaw and salad. Yep im passionate about my food :). And later on we even had waffles... mmmmmmmmm. Well enough on food I could go on all day. I handed my assignment for GIS in on friday, and decided to head out on my new bike surf board contraption and hit the waves.

Lets just say the first trip was almost successful. I managed to stand up a few times, I think I need to work on my pop and once my front foot is in the right place I was fine :). Ill get my practise on. After my surf we had KB fitness session, so the first 45 mins consisted of a run, 20 star jumps, 30 press ups, 40 sit ups, 50 squats then repeated.... ouch! the final 15 mins we did some boxing with pads. How awesome is boxing with pads! Lets just say if I wasnt hurting before that session (which I was from thursday) then I really was afterwards. 

So on Saturday I went on a trip to the Blue Mountains arranged by Colourful Tours. We kicked off at 7.45am in a minibus, way too early! and headed up to Featherdale Wildlife Park. They are a small zoo who have all kinds of Aussi and global animals. We saw, a massive croc, wombats, tassy devil, emus, joeys, wallabes, parrots, birds, owls and the highlight would have to be the Koalas.


After that we headed off to Wentworth Falls, a cool waterfall running off a plateau. There were some great views of the lowlands of the Blue Mountains from there. We went a little stroll and learn about some of the plants and animals, did you know that 96% of Aussi animals are endemic... wow ;). 


We then headed off to Katoomba and wandered around town before heading to the YHA for our bbq lunch, we had some epic sausages and we got to try kangaroo meat. It was fairly similar to beef but with a slightly different taste. 
From there we headed off to the infamous three sisters, where we took a few pics at the touristy viewpoint and then headed off the beaten track to go for a bit of a walk. 

We went down the Furber steps, passing a waterfall which look like it had a face in it, but not any face... king kongs face! 

We descended further, stopping at a cave to test out the acoustics, we all made a coooo-eeee sound out into the blue mountains and we got an echo back from the otherside of the small valley we were in! So neat! On our way back up we stopped off on a different water fall and of course I dunked my head in :). Once back to the bus we made our way back to Wollongong, getting back, albeit exhausted, at 7 ish.   

Such a great day was had by all of us with more epic pictures to come! 
Sunday has gone by fairly quickly, catching up on some much needed rest and sleep, then some KB sports of frisbee and basketball. This afternoon I hitched a ride to the farmers market... seriously in love with that place. So I am all fruit and veged up for the week. The rest of the afternoon should be spent doing some work but I am rather sceptical about that actually happening!  

Also, a cool little feature that I have added to the top of the blog is a link to my fb pictures so when I upload a piccy it will come on there... pretty nifty if I do say so myself ;). 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment